Friday, April 17, 2009

Poker Face

Anyone who has known me for more than an hour knows that I have a TERRIBLE poker face.

Something about wearing my emotions on my sleeve. Or something like that.

Anyway, this week I had meetings for work where they put on mandatory evening events. One of the events was a Poker Tournament.

And I won.

Which is funny, considering my horrendous poker face. I couldn't control my squeal when I was dealt great cards. I would start to giggle if a perfect card was flipped up. I would literally SIT ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT if I was nervous or scared. Not hard to read right though me.

Even more funny is the fact that I have NEVER played poker.

I was trying to learn, but I couldn't ask anyone for advice because everyone was playing, so I had to learn AFTER each hand. I would pick my cards up and ask the guys next to me what I should have done on the previous hand.

The second hand I was dealt was an Ace and a 9. I folded, because they weren't the same number and they weren't the same suit. After the hand, the guy next to me said "NEVER DO THAT AGAIN".

Needless to say, I learned quickly and did very well. Mostly it was dumb luck. I have no idea why or how people play with actual money, but it was fun to play "pretend" and I won a nice prize.

Last night I went to a friend's and played a game I'm MUCH more familiar with - Rook - and, just to keep me humble, my team got SMOKED.

No comments: