Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Baseball Season, Football Fever

I’ve been very excited about football season lately. I know, baseball has just started and it is months and months until football starts, but there are many reasons for me to be more excited about football than baseball right now.

1. The Twins have been kinda disappointing so far this season. They were projected by many to be the best team in the division (and they might still end up as the best), but they currently are third (out of four). I understand everything about how long the season is and it has barely started, and how our best player (Mauer) hasn’t played yet, but still. It just hasn’t been good. I feel like we’ve already missed a lot of opportunities, and thanks to last year’s tie-breaking game vs. the Sox, we all know how important every game can be. I’d rather not be in that position again.

2. The NFL draft was this weekend. I always like to see who we acquire and speculate on how they will fit into the team.

3. The NFL schedule came out last week. I already know that I will be going to the Vikings/Packers game both at the Dome and at Lambeau. The game in the Dome is a Monday night game. Should be good. I also might be going to the game in Cleveland (or possibly St. Louis). Details aren’t set for that yet, but it would be fun to see if one of those might work out.

4. I’m already hopeful for the Vikings season. Coming off a season where we won the division, I have high hopes that we can do it again – especially after seeing our schedule. I do think our division will be pretty competitive, though. None of the schedules are very tough, especially considering the Vikings, Packers, and Bears all get to play the Lions twice (basically two guaranteed wins there). We start out our schedule with the Browns, the Lions, and the 49ers, so we should be able to go into the Packers game 3-0. One game that could set up to be very interesting is the Bears game on Dec 28th (Monday night). It’s the second to last game of the season and we will have just played them four games earlier. Depending on how things shake out, we both could have very good records at that point and it’s possible we would be playing to clinch the division. At least that’s how things would go in my purple-and-gold-colored world. I guess I’ll have this blog to refer back to in seven months to see if I’m right….or more likely (especially now that I’ve documented my optimism) not right.

Even though I already have football fever, I am anxious to get to a Twins game sooner rather than later. Especially when Mauer gets back in the line up. And especially to have a DOME DOG.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You need to ask Adam about our Twins game experience. He won tickets at work for the 2nd game of the season. We were 12 rows up on the 1st base line. I have NEVER had seats that good in my life! Don't know if you remember that game, but he made us leave in the eighth inning because he thought our car was having issues. Twins were down (3 to 1, I think). Anyway, yeah just ask him how that one ended. =)