Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can't Eat Fast Enough

I've been single for awhile (if you consider "my whole entire life" to be "awhile") and I still have no idea how to go about grocery shopping.

I cannot eat the food I buy before it goes bad. For instance, there is no way I will eat an entire loaf of bread before it grows mold, so I stopped buying it. I tried keeping it in the freezer, but I run out of room and I get sick of toasting it every time I want to eat it. So. No more bread. And eggs. I like to have eggs on hand in case I get the urge to make cookies. But I seriously don't eat a dozen eggs in....months! I think eggs do last for a long time, but sometimes I don't know how long, so I just toss them (someone just informed me of the "float rule" this week, so that should help). Also, MILK. ALL of the milk I buy goes bad. I would just buy a quart, and even THAT would go bad before I could drink it all, so now I just buy the single serving things from the gas station. Lame. Even those go bad sometimes.



And today I found this:



Okay, this onion had NOTHING GROWING OUT OF IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT! So over the course of however long (seriously can't remember when I bought it...) the onion grew....whatever that is. And now I'm not sure if the onion is actually "bad" or not, but I refuse to eat it. So. More wasted food. And I hate wasting food! (The other scary thing is that I haven't even noticed that something was growing on it until it got that large....gross)

I think part of the problem is that the home I grew up in doubled as a catering business, so we bought absolutely EVERYTHING in bulk. Because, you know, when my mom cooked and baked, she was cooking and baking for a couple hundred people (a couple times a day).

There probably is a great way to shop for food when you are single, but I just don't know it. So if you do, please enlighten me! And DON'T tell me to buy all those things that are packaged as single servings or whatever because that is a serious waste of money and all you are paying for is packaging.

Okay. End of rant.

5 comments:

Eva Joy said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

If you were here right now, you would be laughing at how hard I am laughing. Seriously....you grew an onion sprout in your fridge! I can't decide if that is ridiculous or admirable.

And I agree about food going bad. I have already posted about my terrible milk habits. My bread never goes bad, but that is because I am a bread fiend (no Atkins for me!!!). You'll have to teach me the floating rule. My rule is "if I am going to cook/bake the egg anyway, the heat will kill anything bad." I don't know if that is true or not, but at least it makes me feel better. I have no good suggestions for you.

Oh man, just look at that onion.

I wish I had been with you when I read this post. You have no idea how hard I was laughing.

Hannah said...

Well, took the picture with the sole intention of showing it to you...and then I thought "Oh! I will blog about it! That will make her laugh!"

And it wasn't in my fridge. It was on the counter. And I still didn't see it growing that whole time. And people think I'm not observant......pshah.....

Hannah said...

Oh, and the floating rule is that an egg is bad if it floats. Or...it is bad if it sinks?....UMMMMM.....

Eggs will either float or sink. One means they are bad, one means they are edible. Guess, I guess.

Kristie Johnson said...

oh hannah I UNDERSTAND. I just wrote a blog responding to your dilema with what I do to try and avoid that - although things inevitably get thrown out for me too! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Green Bags! You have to get them, I swear they are magic. You can get them at Target. I blogged about them after my grandparents were raving about these green bag things when I was in AZ. http://jennadaily.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/leisurely/

Seriously magic, especially for produce. Check it out.