Monday, January 4, 2010

Thoughts on Core Values

Well, I finally found the post where I talked about doing my core values. I only posted it over six months ago, so, you know. I’m just a little behind. [If you’d like to have the background thoughts about my core values, they are here]

But I have a good excuse. I’ve been pretty diligent in learning more about my core values. Mostly I listened to and read sermons, and I ended up with over 18 pages of notes on a Word document. WHOA. Then came the task of reading, re-reading, organizing, deciding what belongs and what doesn’t, etc. It has been educational and, dare I say, fun.

So, I’m about to do 8 posts with my core values (this post with the verses, seven separate posts with each of my core values). Again, if you want to see how I came to this process, you can read my explanation.

The start of a new year is a good time to write out these values. Really they are things that I resolve to make more evident in my life. I hope. And pray (since prayer is one of my values, after all).

Here are my core value verses (from Romans 12):

(9) Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. (10) Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. (11) Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. (12) Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. (13) Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Here are my core values:
  • Love (“Let love be genuine…Love one another with brotherly affection”)
  • Belief (“abhor what is evil, hold fast to what is good”)
  • Hospitality (“contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality”)
  • Generosity (“contribute to the needs of the saints ….outdo one another in showing honor”)
  • Service (“serve the Lord”)
  • Prayer (“be constant in prayer”)
  • Joy (“do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation”)

No comments: