Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Core Value: Hospitality

(“contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality”)

Hospitality is a chance to demonstrate the selflessness that characterizes Jesus and His Kingdom – to embrace the beauty and wonder of being invited into God’s kingdom and extend that same grace to others. I want to approach hospitality as more than just entertaining, and doing so is something that is dependent on the state of my heart. Am I focused on making an impression, or on making people feel loved? Do I spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning and preparing, rather than praying for my guests and seeking opportunities to minister to them?

We shouldn’t feel guilty about enjoying time with those we love, but at the same time we should seek (seek implies continuous action – an attitude and practice) to expand our vision to those who are normally excluded from hospitality (Lord’s example: invite the poor, crippled, blind, lame). The Lord expected nothing in return, and was selfless and gracious. Hospitality is a chance to go above and beyond what is ordinary (Luke 6:32: if you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you?), but to live and relate and be hospitable in a unique way to show the Gospel.

Practicing our hospitality helps us to overcome our self-centeredness (and fear of man, and greed, and…..). We naturally look inward, so hospitality can be easily neglected. All we have to do is…nothing….and we will be so focused on ourselves that we won’t practice hospitality.

The motivation for practicing hospitality is a memory of the past (Jesus died to make us members of the household of God) and a hope for the future (He will meet all our needs and see us safely home).

In order to improve my hospitality I want to think more about the following questions: How can I draw people into an experience of God’s hospitality? Who might need reinforcement right now in the battle against loneliness? What new people/couples/group can I invite over? Who are the excluded people that I am tempted to not invite and ignore?

Hospitality is not just reserved for inviting people over to my home. There are opportunities to display hospitality as I greet people at church, as I invite people into conversations at work, as people are looking for a place to stay for a season. It is about really drawing people together in a variety of situations to show God’s grace and put aside my selfishness.

I want to be more thoughtful and intentional in my hospitality. God has given us money and homes not just so that we are thankful, but so that, through hospitality, we can make many people thankful to God. When we give generously and open our homes, the love of God is confirmed in our lives.

We are rewarded when we practice hospitality. We have the opportunity to lift a burden, relieve stress, and give hope.

No comments: