Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Intentions

Last year I made a list of 52 intentions as my resolutions for 2009. I looked at that list today and counted up 23 items that I had completed at some time during the year. Many of the items I was not able to check off the list were things that I said I would do every day/week (take vitamins, drink more water, play piano, etc.). I knew the list would be nearly impossible for me to complete, but I wanted to set a few lofty goals.

I think I will keep my goals more simple this year. I know that I want to read through the Bible, and I've set up some accountability on that front. I know that I want to run a half marathon (or two), and I have a bit of accountability there, as well. Today I was talking with a friend about possibly getting ready to do another Olympic triathlon, but I need to give that one a bit more thought - not sure if I want to commit to that yet (I probably should, though).

Most of my "resolutions" this year will revolve around my core values, which I hope to post here throughout this week. I could easily be overwhelmed with all of the growth I need in my spiritual life (especially when I read through an extensive list of resolutions), so I want to keep my resolutions focused on the specific areas I've chosen to cultivate more intentionally. There are always many good questions to ask of myself as I start a new year, but I know from past experience that I shouldn't bite off more than I can chew, otherwise I don't accomplish anything.

And really, I don't accomplish anything on my own power, but with help from the Lord. I pray 2010 is a year of spiritual growth.......and waist shrinkage.

No comments: