Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Hardest Card

I absolutely love getting Christmas cards. When we head home for Christmas, my sisters and I practically fight over who gets the first chance to read through the cards our parents have received.

At a party before Christmas, some friends were talking about this very thing - how some of their families even have traditions of saving the cards and opening them all together. I commented on how I usually tear into them each day, but this year I had only been keeping up on my bills and I had thrown what were obviously Christmas cards into a separate pile to get to later.

Sunday was that day. I sat down with my cards and starting looking at pictures, reading letters, and changing addresses in my book as I went along. And then I came to the hardest card. One from my Grandma.

I teared up before I even opened it. Earlier that day Dad had called to say that Grandma had fallen and hit her head. Things didn't look good for her. It may be a day, it may be a week, but this looked like the end.

The cover of her card was Luke 2:10-11: "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." The inside of the card reads: "There is no greater joy than celebrating Jesus - may your heart know the blessing of every gift He gives!"

She sent money and her hand written notes says: "May 'Joy to the World' be your portion for the new year." Had I not been saving my cards and opened it earlier, I would have called to thank her and catch up. It made me very sad that I didn't do that, and it didn't look like I would have the chance to.

Things didn't look much better as of last night, and I found out early this afternoon that Grandma went to be with the Lord today. I'm sad - that she's gone, for Dad and his siblings, that she had been doing so well and she just happened to fall. I'm grateful - that she is saved, that I completed #51 on this list, that I have our most recent emails with each other, and that I have this Christmas card.

It's the hardest card, but I'm so happy to have it. And with such an appropriate message of joy: Jesus is my portion.

Your prayers are appreciated this week.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Oh Boy! That is a powerful post for me, having just been with my aging (and beloved) grandparents. I will be praying for you.

Sarah said...

Hannah, I am so sorry for your loss. I teared up reading your post. You and your family will be in my prayers this week. I'm sure 'heaven and nature are singing' as your Grandma enters the golden gates to our King.