Sunday, November 2, 2008

Money Challenge

Becca has inspired me (along with some sermons at church and the financial class I am taking). I decided that for the month of November I am going to spend as little money as possible. In Becca's challenge, her goal was to spend less than $125 in an entire month for her family of four. I thought about what dollar amount I might challenge myself to, but I couldn't come up with a good number, so I'm just going to see how it goes...sort of shooting to be under $100 for the month (not including regular bills).

November is a good month to do the challenge, seeing as I won't need to buy any clothes due to the fact that I practically bought an entire new wardrobe in October (not really, but close. Oops). Also, I imagine that December will see me spending all kinds of money on gifts, so I am going to try to abstain from gift-buying this month (plus, most of my friends are done gestating, so I don't anticipate spending $200 on baby gifts like I did in October).

I haven't been to the grocery store in over three weeks, so I literally have no food in the cupboards. In other words, I will be spending a little money on food this week. To make up for stocking the shelves, I am going to avoid eating out as much as I can. I also am going to take advantage of my new CVS card where I can shop for some food items and other everyday "stuff". If you don't know about how to save money at CVS, read this very informative post that I discovered thanks to Becca.

I got myself a card and I've already started saving. I bought Vitamin D, which was the extra-special-coupon-creator-deal-of-the-month in October (and ironically, the exact vitamin that a doctor told me might help my sleeping problem). Then I got two boxes of my favorite cereal for buy one, get one free. Using the coupons I earned with those purchases, I got milk and coffee for a total of $3 (normally $7.50)!

Sorry to bore with my grocery list! I do have more to buy, but I need to go to an actual grocery store for the rest.

But you get the idea. Trying to be frugal this month. I really don't need a lot of what I think I need. Not that it will be easy. I only really decided to do this on Saturday and - sure enough - I saw a friend at church today with the CUTEST top from my FAVORITE store and she said it is on MAJOR SALE. Ugh. Normally I would run out and buy it, but I don't really need it. Really.

Really.

So, I'll keep you updated (not that anyone is all that interested...more for my own accountability, I suppose). BUT if you see me in a REALLY cute new denim top with short sleeves and buttons and snaps and buckles and total CUTENESS.....don't give me "the look".

2 comments:

M. said...

Great idea! Just to keep you motivated, for fun things to do this month, check our your local library. My HMF and I just discovered that ST Paul Public library lets you "check out" museum passes that will allow you in for free. We got into the MIA ticketed India exhibit for FREE (savings: $16) and 10% the gift shop.

I went back to the library to thank them for this awesome promo and check out others - the next one I'm going to try is the MN zoo - you can get two people in for free PLUS free parking (savigns: $25!)

I was totally jazzed.

Becca said...

He he. This is spreading like wildfire! I can't wait to keep up with you via your blog. Thanks for sending the link!