Saturday, November 29, 2008

It Pays To Go Home. Literally.

I am leaving my hometown after Thanksgiving weekend with $110 dollars and three gifts in hand. And it's not even Christmas! Pretty fruitful weekend, if I must say so myself.

I can't remember the last time I was in my hometown. I used to go there a lot when I worked "up north" - mostly because my parents still lived there. Now my parents have moved away, and any time I spend north, I spend at my cabin. I just realized right now that the last time I was there was for Mother's Day. That's a really long stretch for me. And it made this weekend all the more sweet to be "home".

I cried myself to sleep last night because I felt so loved. I was wondering where all my emotion was coming from when it dawned on me that I don't have people expressing their love for me so openly as I did this weekend on a regular basis. I think that's partly due to being single where I don't have a spouse to be deeply affectionate with (although I'm sure there are married people who also are in my same situation, but that is sad for other reasons). I do have friends in my life who I am very appreciative of, as I assume they are appreciative of me, but we don't always express that to each other regularly other than on birthdays and holidays - and sometimes not even then.

But it was impressed upon me this weekend how well I am loved, and I am so thankful for that reminder. Apparently I needed it more than I thought I did. So I cried because I am so happy to have this kind of love in my life (of which I am about to tell you), but so sad that I don't have it, or something like it, everyday.

I always tell people that I have four Moms. And not in the annoying, nagging way - in the really great, love you lots way. There's my Mom, of course, and then there are two of my aunts who treat me like a daughter in the way that they would do anything for me and they always buy me lots of stuff. And my Mom's best friend has always been, and will always be, a part of my life in a way that it feels like she's family.

And this weekend I was reminded of even more people in my life who love me unconditionally. I stopped over at my Mom's best friend's house while they (relatives and old college friends) were doing their cookie-making-marathon. We laughed and cried as we told stories and caught up. Throughout our conversations they were reminded of gifts they had bought for me over the last few months - "Oh that reminds me of these dishes that I got to match your kitchen...."; "Oh I made extra pecans for you because I know you like them so much..."; Oh I remembered how you are throwing so many showers lately, so why don't you just have my cupcake stand...". I love these women lots, and they love me lots. It was such a nice reminder. I left with a few gifts and more advice than I know what to do with.

Later today my aunt showed up with a sign I had mentioned I saw (but didn't buy because I am saving money) that would fit nicely at the cabin. I had only mentioned it in passing and never thought about it again, but she went and searched it out to buy for me because I am "so sweet". (Now you are all convinced that I have everyone in my hometown totally fooled...) She proceeded to insist that I also take some money from her because I helped her work some this weekend. I insisted that I was working for free, but I found a check in my purse tonight anyway.

I just loved catching up with so many people who have known me so well for 26 years, but are eager to see and hear how I have changed and grown since I saw them last. I am eager to hear about what is going on in their lives as well. And to make new memories with them. And to talk about old memories. I know they are thinking about and praying for me even when I haven't seen them for a long time. It is such a sweet reminder.

I know that leaving my hometown after this great weekend will make my life in the cities feel.....kinda.....empty, but I am motivated to show more people how much I care for them. I hope you are too. I think we probably don't know how much it means to someone when we do.

1 comment:

Eva Joy said...

Feel free to give me money OR gifts to show me how much you appreciate me.

Also, this post made me cry because I, too, love and miss all of our mothers and other dear friends. Except I wasn't in bed. I was at work. So it slightly more inappropriate for me to be crying.