Sunday, November 30, 2008

Holy Cow: Money Challenge Finale

Well, I saved a ton.

Actually, I don't know that I technically "saved" a ton, BUT I spent a WHOLE LOT LESS than I did in October. And September, and August, and July.....

I've been keeping a detailed budget for years now, so when I saw how much less I spent in November compared to October, I thought that October maybe wasn't the best month to compare with, since I had so bought so many gifts and some new clothes (which I don't buy that often). So I took a look back the months before that as well. Turns out I have a chronic spending problem.

For my challenge I totaled up what I spent in the following categories: food, clothing, gifts, entertainment, home, toiletries, exercise, travel, and gas. Not counting the ticket I bought to Hawaii, my total in November came to $368. I was REALLY surprised it was that high, considering I was making so many efforts to save money. Well, it turns out this total was literally a drop in the bucket compared to previous months. In October, the total in those same categories was $1577! Like I mentioned, I thought that was unusually high, so I looked to the months before that. September was $1116; August $1015; July $1145. So it seems like these totals are more of a trend for me, but still - they are MUCH higher than $368!

I can hardly believe it. Just by thinking twice about purchases, staying away from Target, and eating at home a few more times than eating out, I really cut down on my spending. I absolutely needed to stop my crazy spending and I hope that I've set a new standard for myself. December will be interesting with Christmas, but I am very glad I put the time and effort into this Money Challenge during November.

Lesson learned. I like to spend money. But I don't need to. As much....

No comments: