Thursday, May 13, 2010

Introspection

"The postmodern infatuation with journey feeds on and into a preoccupation with our own stories. If my grandparents' generation could be a little stoic and not terribly reflective, my generation is introspective at a level somewhere between self-absorption and narcissism. We are so in-tuned with our dysfunction, hurts, and idiosyncrasies that it often prevents us from growing up, because maturity is tantamount to hypocrisy in a world that prizes brokenness more than health. I'm not advocating stuffing all our feelings, but we must learn that self-expression and being true to ourselves are not the surest guides to Chrsitlikeness. Sincerity is a Christian virtue, as is honesty about our struggles. But my generation needs to realize that Christianity is more than chic fragility, endless self-revelation, and the coolness that comes with authenticity. We live in a blogging culture, which suggests that just because we have an opinion on something it must be worthwhile."

I liked this quote from Kevin DeYoung that I came across in the book I'm reading. Now, granted, this quote applies to me in a few ways: 1) I'm a part of the generation he's talking about and 2) I actively participate by having a blog which suggests that "just because we have an opinion on something it must be worthwhile" (in fact, that statement alone was one thing holding me up from starting a blog two years ago....but that's another post). Anyway, I like the quote because I think that so many people in my generation think too much and do too little (like I mentioned in my previous post about service/spiritual gifts - we might benefit from less concentration on our own "stories" (life/journey) and more concern for the "stories" of others).

We're obsessed with filling out our Facebook pages so that everyone knows exactly what music and movies we like. We write paragraphs upon paragraphs on dating websites about how unique and great we are, just hoping we might catch someone's eye - as long as they are just as unique and great as we are. We want to know and be known - and I understand that - but it can get to a level of introspection "somewhere between self-absorption and narcissism", like the quote says. (I've sometimes thought that I should make a profile on a dating site that says the truth: "I'm painfully ordinary. I go to work everyday, I hang out with my friends now and then, I like my church, my family is normal, and I'm super average at every sport I've ever tried." Because, really, that's the truth. I'm not making the cure for cancer and I haven't sent enough money to a third world country to solve their water issues, so.....yeah. Pretty ordinary.)

I will say that I like telling stories and I like being a part of "the Story", and I do see value in that. I also could probably benefit from a little more introspection in some areas of my life instead of just filling my time with wasteful "comforts" and busy things.....but in general I think this quote was thought provoking (obviously...based on this rambling post).

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow, isn't that the truth?! Great post, Hannah!