Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Delightful and Dreadful

My weekend was equal parts delightful and dreadful.

Delightful: a nice drive to Green Bay catching up on all kinds of podcasts, seeing my parents and sister, running our 2nd annual 5K with my cancer-free dad (great tradition!), being lazy all day Saturday - but still getting a lot of my quilt finished, chatting with long-lost roommates while I drove, and running the Green Bay Half-Marathon: a pretty easy and flat course (not at all like the past courses I've ran.....DC is SO hilly!), great weather (no rain or wind, 65-70 degrees), and I got the time I was aiming for (2 hours, 20 minutes - not fast, but not horrible).

Dreadful: I either got some kind of heat stroke or bad dehydration or both, because after the race I was SICK. I had to drive five hours back home with the worst headache and stomach ache ever. I sometimes felt like I wanted to pass out, and my fever was BAD (I really wish I would have taken it when I got home to see what it was). I spent Sunday night in bed with the chills. Nothing sounded appetizing to eat, but I knew I needed to eat something.....ugh it was horrible. I wish I would have taken Monday off of work to recover, but of course I didn't. I still felt horrible and had a fever through lunch, but then it broke and I started to feel MUCH better. I also think I'm going to lose a toenail from running which makes me SAD - I was kinda joking after the race that it felt like I would lose my toenail, but now it is actually turning blue and I think it will be gone. Bummer.

But despite the sick and the toenail, I'm pleased with how the race went, and overall it was a really great weekend. I was telling someone that I have a goal of running a half-marathon in every state. He politely reminded me that even if I did three half-marathons a year, it would take me 15 more years to complete that goal. YIKES. But for now I think I'll stick with it....after a small break from running.

No comments: