Monday, December 14, 2009

A Weekend of Little Blessings

The first weekend of December was full of little blessings and was a wonderful way to start the Christmas season.

Friday night was a wedding shower. It was a great group of women that I love to learn from and laugh with, and we accomplished both that evening. I was so happy to hear the kind words that were shared about the bride-to-be, and then the bride-to-be shared kind words about each person at the shower. I left feeling incredibly blessed by the amazing hospitality of the host who set up such a nice evening with the perfect atmosphere and by the fellowship we all enjoyed. Friday nights are usually hard for me (in terms of energy and “want to”) but I was refreshed from our time together.

Saturday morning was the Reindeer Run. I was SO glad that my running at LTF has paid off: even though it was COLD and EARLY (my two LEAST FAVORITE THINGS), I was able to run at a good clip the whole time. A big improvement over the last few races. Seeing and feeling that difference motivated me to stick with my training.

Then it was brunch with one of my Favorites at Perkins, where I, of course, enjoyed a HEARTLAND OMELET. Need I say more?

The aforementioned Favorite and I then headed back to her house to “study”. She did for-real studying and I caught up on my reading for small group. It was nice to have a focused time for reading, otherwise I simply never get it done, even though I really want to.

That night I headed over to the same house I was at on Friday to teach crocheting, have dinner, and just catch up on life. I seriously love this family and I was so thankful for them to spend more time in their weekend with me. We talked and talked and talked and ate yummy twice-baked potatoes, so it doesn’t get much better than that.

Sunday morning I was on Welcome Team, one of my favorite things, and Sunday afternoon I had small group, another favorite thing. MRL made the YUMMIEST dessert for small group time and we had a very encouraging time together.

Then Sunday night I went over to watch the Vikings with another one of my favorite families. I was so glad I could finally stop by for the game – they have been so gracious to invite me over many times this season, even with very busy lives and a brand new baby, but I hadn’t been able to make it yet. So it was nice to see the game on a huge screen, even though we lost, and also spend some time teaching more crocheting. I also got to hold the sweet baby, which always, always makes my day.

It was such a busy and blessed weekend, and I was full of encouragement that got me through a strange week at work where the weather (our first legit storm) and a flat tire could have sent me over the edge, but thankfully didn’t. While other friends and family got a day off from work thanks to the storm, I was reminded to be thankful that my evenings that week were wonderfully not-busy, allowing me flexibility in my week to make up for the lost time at work due to the storm, whereas my friends and family who were given the unexpected day off from work needed that time much more than I did last week. So it all works out in the end.

No comments: