Monday, December 14, 2009

Face Matches Foot

My foot is swollen from a very strange injury I inflicted upon myself at church on Sunday. During set up time, I was wheeling a seven-foot-tall cart that weighs a couple hundred pounds. I stopped short, but the cart did not (note to self: carts that weigh hundreds of pounds have a lot more inertia than I do) and it rolled up on the back of my heel. I fell down and immediately felt very nauseous and lightheaded. I tried to stand up and nearly fainted, so I laid on the ground and breathed deeply until I could stand up. Long story short, I finished set up, iced my foot, and left church during the sermon due to my still-light-headedness and upset stomach. I went to see doctor-sister and after I got some food, some Advil, and left my foot up for the entire Vikings game, I was feeling much better. I had terrible visions of crutching around in the snow today carrying bags of food and samples to my clinics, but I was able to get a shoe on and I only had a slight limp throughout the day. So that is an answer to prayer, to be sure. I will attempt to be less clumsy in the future, without much success, I’m sure, because that’s how I roll. Literally ROLL over my own foot. Annoying.

ANYWAY.

My face matches my foot today – it is swollen as well. I cried myself to sleep last night with a mixture of happy, sad, anxious, hopeful, thankful, and anticipatory tears (if that mixture of tears exists). I have had the best and most strange weekends lately, and it all bubbled over last night. So as I was being my emotional self, I thought about my lack of blogging and how I really want to remember weekends like the last few, so I need to catch up on my blogging before I forget it all (which is bound to happen very shortly). In the past I have not wanted to simply blog about lists of things that are going on in my life, but I decided that remembering these little things is more important to me than having huge insights on every blog. It will definitely benefit myself more than any of my readers, so if you choose to skim or not read those blogs at all, I fully support your decision. And I have a feeling that my next few posts will be very verbose, so I am telling you in advance that there is no reason for you to read them all. So. That's that.

Part of the emotions I had last night were tied up in my favorite time of year: Christmas. The cards pour in, the parties are in full swing, the house is cozy with great decorations, the music is amazing, and the real meaning of the season strikes me afresh each year. I simply LOVE it. Someone reminded me that all of those same things might make a single person feel very lonely and sad at this time of year: no family card to send out, no gifts from significant others, feeling misplaced as others travel around to multiple family gatherings…..so I feel overly blessed across the last few weeks that my life is full of people that I love and who love me like family, even though we aren’t…..and in spite of the fact that we are (because sometimes you just treat your family poorly, ya know?!).

So I will get at the blogging this evening to hang onto some of these memories, as I ice my foot and face.

1 comment:

Eva Joy said...

The sermon at church (in Houston) yesterday was on Psalm 71 and how we should rehearse the accomplishments and faithfulness of God in our lives because 1) it gives us an opportunity to praise him and 2) it gives us hope that he will continue to be faithful in the future.

So I say blog about every nitty gritty detail if you want, because you praise him through all of it and someday, when it is hard to remember everything, it will be a blessing to have the memory help.

And I, like Mom, will read (and enjoy) every. single. word of it.

Can't wait for the great December weekend coming up!!!