Monday, December 21, 2009

Twenty Ten

I saw the following sentence on a blog post featuring pictures from the last decade: "Call it what you will, "the noughties", "the two-thousands" or something else, the first decade of the 21st century (2000-2009) is now over."

It reminded me of a discussion my sister and I had while we were skiing about what the year 2010 will be called [like 2009 is usually referred to as "oh nine"].

She said that she might say "two ought one ought" or "one ought"*. I said that "one ought never to be caught calling the year one ought. It shall be called twenty ten".

We also threw around some ways to say the year in Roman numerals, but we weren't sure what the Roman numeral for 1000 was (it is M). So instead, we decided to use the Roman numerals for twenty ten, which would be XX (for twenty) and X (for ten), so it turns out to be Triple X. We may or may not have come up with a hand signal for this, as well. Don't be jealous.

So, what will you call this coming year? Will you say "two thousand ten"? Or "twenty ten"? Maybe just "ten"?

We ponder the most pressing issues in life while we ski, my sister and I.







*Apparently, according to Wikipedia, saying ought (or aught) for 0 is technically incorrect. The proper thing to say is nought. I guess our high school math teacher taught us poorly.

3 comments:

Eva Joy said...

*Although I may be embarassed should I ever try to count while in Rome, I could never find fault in Mr. Rowan as a teacher. Afterall, he is the one who gave me lifelong entertainment in Total Eclipse of the Heart.


I may back down on my "two aught one aught" conviction. "Two nought one nought" just doesn't sound right. I am now considering "the two thousand and tenth year of our Lord."




I have been practicing my hand signal. You have no idea how much I am going to use that.

Guy Magno said...

Mr. Steve Hanson and I had this convo at the beg. of Jan. when i went to visit. we decided on 2 ought 10.

Laura said...

I might try calling it oh ten here and there, see if it catches on. You heard here first, folks.