Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Check It Out

Came across a band I like! Let me tell you.

A friend invited me to a free outdoor concert last night. I love summer and I love music, so I planned to go. Unfortunately the weather didn’t look like it would cooperate, so they moved the concert “indoors”. The location where they were “hosting” the concert was a car repair shop. So they opened up the garage doors and set up the band under the hydraulic lifts for the cars (complete with some cars still on the lifts). Pretty much it felt like I was in a music video. Sweetest set-up for a concert.

The concert was pretty impromptu, so there were fewer than 100 people there. It was a word of mouth, bring your own lawn chair event. I was really loving the atmosphere.

And then the band.

LOVED.

Have you heard of Reilly? They are based out of Philly (actually they are from a church just miles from where I lived when I did a summer internship in PA) and they are AWESOME.

Here’s what I liked:
  • Music: they are an alt-rock band with violins. It was an awesome sound. The lead singer has an amazing voice (even live) and they are very talented musicians, switching from guitars to violins to piano to vocals, etc.
  • Lyrics: powerful and based on Truth
  • Personality: the two violinists are married, so their chemistry is obvious and fun to watch. Awesome “dueling violins” and even an “air violin” contest complete with audience volunteers. All members of the band were great performers and really brought the crowd into the experience.
  • Attitude: even with the tiny crowd, the not-ideal atmosphere to play music in (I imagine the sound in a car garage is not ideal for musicians), and the impromptu-ness of the evening, the band had the same energy they would have had if they were playing for 5,000. I so appreciate that their love of the Lord, love of music, and love of performing came through even in that setting.

Here's a little clip




It was a great summer night and I love finding new music that I like!

1 comment:

beth said...

okay, i know it's late.... but that lead singer strangely resembles David Duchovny does he not?

( "violin rock" is not new... but they don;t sound too bad :))