Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sold

I’ve always been on the skeptical side of chiropractic medicine, but I am now a believer.

Thanks to the painful neck spasm I had last week (which I also experienced about four years ago), I thought it was time for me to check out a chiropractor. Thankfully I didn’t have to go into the experience blindly, since my boss has a chiropractor she loves and says is wonderful.

So, off I went to see the chiropractor. We had a consultation and then he sent me to get x-rays. Turns out I do have some issues going on in my neck (which I have known about for quite awhile – like always having to crack my neck, having soreness every morning when I wake up, and very limited range of motion each morning thanks to that soreness). He explained everything to me and then I got an adjustment. We also talked about the knots in my shoulders (which have never not been there – it’s a family trait, I think) and the sneaky knot I get under my shoulder blade after tennis and discus (which I haven’t done in years, but Dad used to always have to give me a shoulder blade massage before and after track meets thanks to that bugger).

I was extremely anxious about the adjustment, but it actually felt really great and went well. Then I started to get anxious about any soreness I might have today as a result of the adjustment.

Well…..let’s just say I AM SOLD.

When I woke up this morning, I had no soreness. Especially after this last week, it was a HUGE relief. I was almost giddy. Then when I put my head back in the shower to wash my hair I was almost SHOCKED at the lack of stiffness and soreness. My neck is ALWAYS stiff in the morning. I started to turn my head in all different directions and I could not believe the amazing range of motion I had just after getting out of bed. I even slept really well. Needless to say, I am pleased as punch.

Of course, at the chiropractor they ask if you suffer from headaches. I told him that I do get headaches almost daily, but they are just a dull pain that I am used to and they are from my TMJ. He told me that they just might be from the issues in my neck (which at this point wouldn’t surprise me) so we’ll see what happens with that.

This post isn’t meant to recommend chiropractic work for everyone, but I will say that I am much less skeptical and very happy with my results, even after just one day!

No comments: