Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Anti-Dentite

I went to the dentist today.

I can say absolutely-beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt-one-hundred-percent that going to the dentist is just my least favorite thing. EVER.

Hands in mouth, drool, bad tastes, nasty-feeling scraping, bleeding, mouth-open grunted responses. It is just all awful. But my aunt is my dentist, so I go. With a major chip on my shoulder.

Except for those six years when I went....never. And ended up with six cavities. I think somewhere in the Bible it talks about a curse for each year you neglect something. It's probably in Numbers (but I know it's not, because I am studying Numbers right now and you would be surprised at all the cool stuff in there! Seriously - check out the Old Testament! Yes I'm talking to you - person who never reads anything but Paul's letters - go read it!).

Anyway, dentist = hate. Add to the aforementioned "reasons to hate a dentist" the fact that my TMJ is apparently much worse than I thought it was, and you have one very bummed girl. My aunt recommended I see an orthodontist (the same guy I ignored eight years ago when he said he wanted to break my jaw). When you say "let me break your jaw - you won't have those headaches anymore" I say "I don't really know what it's like to not have a headache anyway, so athankyouverymuch, but you will not be breaking my jaw". I guess that in some cases it is more than just a headache-relief-procedure and bad TMJ could have to do with functionality (or lack thereof) down the road, so this referral is something I will actually have to follow through on and see what is up.

*SIGH*

So in light of that part of my day, I decided to make a list of 10 random things that have made me smile (like, big smiles) in the last 24 hours. It is so much more pleasant than thinking about the dentist. (sorry, Aunt)
  1. Dots (the candy)
  2. The Planet Earth Series (saw 5 minutes at a friend's house last night and I wanted to WATCH ALL 6 DISCS IN A ROW. Seriously. A-MAZ-ING)
  3. Third basketball league win (undefeated this fall season!)
  4. Sharpies
  5. Electric blanket
  6. Howie
  7. Happy Hour at MASA (oh-just-the-best-Mexican-place-in-town)
  8. Two free meals in one day
  9. New phone
  10. Root Beer at lunch (a surprise for me from a nice, thoughtful doctor who shares my love of RB)

So really, when put in perspective, my 30 minutes at the dentist was just a blip on the screen, but still. The fluoride on my teeth feels GROSS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Three things:
1. I love your Seinfeld reference.
2. I also hate HATE fluoride. (though I will admit I don't mind the rest of the dental experience, being that my dad is an orthodontist, I grew up thinking it was all rather awesome.)
3. I had jaw surgery 10 years ago, and, sure, it wasn't the greatest time of my life, but the results are absolutely-beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt-one-hundred-percent worth it.

Just wanted to encourage you.