Monday, August 17, 2009

Poke My Eye Out

I should know better.

But I watched Oprah anyway.

In my defense, it was 1:30 AM on Friday night and I was just home from a night at the Saints game and fun downtown with friends. I was dog-sitting for my boss, so I turned on the TV in the guest room to help lull me to sleep after a rambunctious evening.

And Oprah was on. It was a show about attraction or something like that. They were doing surveys on how attractive people are and what that attraction is based on. They showed pictures of men who had been given certain scores of attractiveness on a scale of 1-10. Those same men were scored again, this time their level of income was also thrown into the mix. As I expected, the attractiveness score went up if the salary was higher, even if the men were initially rated rather low.

Oprah's guest (Dr. Laura Berman) was explaining that women are looking for provision, just like in the cavemen days. Women need a man who brings home meat. The more meat the better.

This is where I go crazy.

Oprah says (paraphrased) that this is why she thinks the purpose of marriage has changed so much. Women can "bring home the meat" for themselves and don't need the men to "bring home the meat" anymore...

....and her guest chimed in that in many cases men aren't even needed for women to have babies anymore. Oprah agreed heartily.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU SEE WHY I WANT TO POKE MY EYE OUT WHEN I WATCH OPRAH!?!?!

But I brought it on myself.

Needless to say, this did not help me sleep. But I did make an extra effort to have sweet dreams of the man I do want to provide for me and that I need in order to have babies. So there.

No comments: