Friday, August 7, 2009

The Land of Landlords

I've officially entered the Land of Landlords.

Part of the craziness of this week has to do with the fact that I found a renter for my cabin from Labor Day thru Memorial Day. It all happened in exactly a week, but it feels like it has been a month.

Last Tuesday night I decided to place an ad in the Brainerd paper, and by this Tuesday night I had received 10-15 calls, been to the cabin twice, shown it to four possible renters, and gotten a commitment from a nice family with a talkative seven-year-old.

I have many thoughts and emotions about renting the cabin, including...

.....THANKFUL finding a renter took ONE WEEK!
.....grateful that the financial burden of heating a house I don't live in will be taken care of for nine months.
.....excited to be completely free and clear of any debt, and keeping me from being there ever again!
.....a little sad that someone else will be enjoying my (what I think is a) great home.
.....glad that people will be keeping an eye on anything needing attention at the house during the winter months, and that I trust the renters I have to do a good job of this.
.....scared of how long the to do list is when you are a landlord.
.....exhausted from making decisions.
.....confused by making decisions.
.....tired of fielding phone calls (note to self: don't buy a two week ad next year. It may only take one week to find a renter).
.....overwhelmed by the timeline of getting things at the house ready and my personal effects completely moved out.
.....anxious that this will be a stressful experience.
.....hopeful that this will be a good experience.

I feel like I'm embarking on some interesting experiment. I'd appreciate any and all prayers as I wrap up the pre-renting process (repairs, lease, installing phone, internet, TV) and as I enter the actual Land of Landlords.

1 comment:

Arleigh and Jeff said...

Oh Han I hope this is a good experience for you! I know it will help, hope its all positive, I bet it will be :)