Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Baby Whisperer

So.....apparently I'm not The Baby Whisperer.

Two weeks ago I babysat for a 10-month-old (expectedly), and 6-month-old and two-year-old sisters (unexpectedly). You'd be right if you thought it was completely crazy to watch two babies and a toddler. I don't know how moms do it. I held the 10-month-old from 8-10PM while he cried and cried, rocked the six-month-old in her car seat with my foot intermittently, and followed the two-year-old around while she checked out a whole new set of toys. It was chaos...and it was hilarious. I pretty much thought it should have been a scene in a sitcom (like many other days in my life).

I babysat last night for a five-month-old, a three-year-old and a five-year-old. Again, from 8-10PM the baby cried and cried. Especially frustrating for me was the fact that the mother (and the brothers) indicated that the baby doesn't cry when she goes to bed. Hmmmm. I must have some effect on babies after 8PM. All they want to do is cry.

But last night was made tolerable thanks to great comments from the boys. Like when the five-year-old asked my roommate (who came over to babysit with me) "Were you happy on the day I was born?" Well...neither of us knew him at the time, but the question probably stems from some kind of realization that people are awfully happy about his baby sister. Anyway, that made me smile. Another interaction that made me smile:

Me: [pointing to the (green) pet bird] "What's this bird's name?"
Boy, age 5: "Bluebird."
Me: [hiding a smile] "Oh."
Boy, age 5: "He used to have a blue tail."
Me: [pointing to the other pet bird] "What about this one?"
Boy, age 3: "Tee Tee. His last name is Bee Bee."
Me: [stifling a laugh]: "Tee Tee Bee Bee?"
Boy, age 5: [looking out the window very thoughtfully] "I think it's a good name for a yellow bird."
Me: [a chuckle escapes] "You're right."

Tonight I am babysitting again, but there will be no babies under 12-months-old, so hopefully when 8PM strikes things won't spiral out of control. I'm sure it will be fine, seeing as I've never been around these girls when they've been anything less cute and fun.

1 comment:

Becca said...

It must've gone OK...

This morning when I asked Eva what her favorite part was, without hesitation she said, "building the tent!" They LOVE that. Thanks for being such a busy, stellar babysitter!