Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Glad They Messed Up

Tonight I am thankful that the Israelites made a covenant with the Gibeonites.

They were NOT supposed to, but they did. And I learned from it.

"So the men took some of their provisions, but did not ask counsel from the LORD. And Joshua made peace with them and made a covenant with them, to let them live, and the leaders of the congregation swore to them." Joshua 9:14-15 [emphasis mine]

The Gibeonites were from The Land, and Israel had been instructed not to make any covenants with people from the Land. Those Gibeonites....they were so sneaky! They came to Israel acting like they had traveled so far (ripping up their socks, wineskins, and clothes to add to the show) when really they had only come about 18 miles. They asked Israel for a covenant and, acting only on what they saw in front of them (deception) and without asking the Lord, Israel entered into covenant.

You see, I was about to jump into something head first. I realized as I read this passage that I haven't prayed about it properly or sought accountability from wiser sources enough to proceed. My life is very autonomous and there are big dangers in that - a couple of those being self-reliance and autonomous decision making. Especially without seeking the Lord's answer.

I'm also thankful I was pointed to Psalm 27 in association with the passage from Joshua:
"Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path....Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!" Psalm 27:11 and 14

So I'm waiting. And praying. And seeking wisdom.

The world is awfully sneaky and can put on quite the show, just like those Gibeonites. So I needed the reminder to not only act on what I see, but to WAIT and trust the WORD.

In other news....I should be sleeping. GRRRRR.....

No comments: