Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, New Job

I got a new job.

Well, not technically, but I might as well have.

You see, just like a lot of other industries, my industry has been experiencing massive cut backs. And I mean massive. A friend of mine who is in the industry with a different company just lost her job - her company cut more than 25 of their 40 positions in MN. Massive.

A few weeks ago we got a voicemail that there were going to be some "announcements" after the new year. I was a tiny bit worried that it meant people were going to lose jobs.

But no one lost their job. Awesome. I'm thankful to be with a company that really does it's best to look out for it's employees, even with current industry trends.

The "announcements" were made yesterday morning. In order to keep everyone with the company, we were given new territories, new accounts, new counterparts, etc. Basically an entirely new business. I stayed with the same manager (thankfully) and I am excited about the changes - and to have a job - but along with the new business comes SO. MUCH. WORK.

I haven't put in a 12-hour day for a long time, but I did it yesterday. And I will today, too. And possibly tomorrow. I already think I'll have to skip my financial class tomorrow night, but I can't feel too bad about it because I haven't missed a class yet, and getting my new business up and running is time sensitive (and effects my bonus). I can definitely use those hours tomorrow night to polish up some reports.

My week that originally didn't look too busy (other than dog sitting again) became suddenly overwhelming as of yesterday morning. I know it will all get done and I'm increasingly thankful to have no plans this coming weekend. I know I will need a nice break.

1 comment:

Eva Joy said...

I am interested to hear more about it. Think you can still ski Thurs? I understand if you can't, but I would really like to see you!