Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Big Loser

A new Biggest Loser started tonight on NBC.

A new Biggest Loser started yesterday with my family.

Now I'm definitely not the heaviest person you have ever seen, but I have put on some weight this last year - more so than years before. I have been wanting to get back into shape, and I talked my family into doing the same.

The five of us are all putting in $50. We did a weigh-in at the beginning of this week. Whoever loses the largest percentage of body weight by May 17 is the winner. Winner take all - $250!

I'm excited. I want to lose the weight, and I could absolutely use the money!

I was actually a little disappointed when I did my weigh-in. For the way I look and feel, and with how my clothes (don't) fit, I was hoping that the number was going to be a little higher. Regardless, it is the most I have ever weighed. 40 pounds more than when I was in pageants (wow). 20 or 25 pounds more than when I graduated from college.

I'm lucky to be tall - I can easily hide the weight I gain. And it's not like I want to get back into pageant shape - that weight is not maintainable. But I would like to lose 15 pounds. I know I would have more energy and feel better in general.

I'm training for a half-marathon, so I should be able to stay motivated to work out. And as I lose weight, it will be easier to work out (ever tried to run while you carry an extra 20 pounds? Yeah, it's not the easiest thing ever). I also want to be more competitive in my triathlons this year, and one way to do that is to be faster on the bike by weighing less.

The hardest part for me is going to be the diet - FER SHER. We all know that I am OBSESSED with fast, easy, yummy, bad-for-me food. So I'm trying to learn a new way to enjoy healthier food. I've been picking brains and scouring the internet, so I hope to find some things to eat that I will enjoy, and that will help me be the Big Loser in my family (as if I wasn't already)!

3 comments:

Eva Joy said...

Too bad, seestah. We all know that I am a WAY bigger loser than you, and I do believe I will prove this to be true once again in May. The fun news is that this should put me back in triathlon shape, so I will SERIOUSLY consider doing them again with you this summer. YAY!!!!! I swam yesterday for the first time in almost a year and it felt GREAT. I also started lifting and did okay until I started getting so dizzy that I almost fell over. Again. But don't worry. I didn't fall in front of everyone at the gym. Nope, my body waited until it was at home by itself in my bedroom until it got dizzy enough to cause me to fall. Again. I talked myself into going to see a doctor. They scheduled me with the person who is taking "urgent appointments," so I am going tomorrow. Boo.

Hannah said...

yikes. you should definitely get that checked out! I'm not in the mood to get in a pool yet, but I will be eventually and then we can talk about which triathlons we can do!

Megan said...

You can totally eat around fast food to make it healthy food! I believe in you! And the weight loss cash pool is a great idea... wonder who I could talk into joining me so I could con them out of their money...