Monday, July 5, 2010

Not A Morning Person

I am NOT a morning person. I don't think I ever will be. I have tried to be one - and failed. Miserably. Even my attempt to workout in the mornings was a bust. It lasted about one week.

I think a lot of people think it's more "noble" (or something) to be a morning person. And I sorta get that - early bird gets the worm and blah, blah, blah. "Being a morning person is more dignified" is such a commonly held notion that Stuff Christians Like has a post about how we assume God is a morning person and Satan is a night owl.

But I've stopped feeling bad about it. I'm more productive at night. I need my sleep so that I'm productive throughout the day. I can't even tell you how many times I've tried to change my sleep schedule so that I go to bed earlier and get up earlier. But it doesn't stick. My insomnia certainly hasn't helped in the past, but I know that there are some things that I can do to help improve my sleep and slightly change my sleep schedule.

I came across a list of six tips to survive sleep deprivation. They are very helpful for me:
  1. Scale back your commitments
  2. Use caffeine wisely
  3. Plan your meals and snacks carefully
  4. Take naps when possible
  5. Plan your schedule around your natural rhythms
  6. Prioritize your to-do list
I already do pretty well with #6, but I could improve in #1-4 in order to decrease some of my sleep deprivation. #5 just reinforces my theory that it is best for me to get my sleep in the mornings and burn the oil a little more at night when I am naturally more productive and alert.

I know that I can't just sleep my mornings away (it does nothing but clutter up your day), and I've been known to exhibit some extraordinary snoozing techniques in my day (I'm a big fan of #1 and #2), so I do need to have a better grasp on getting up at a certain time - but that certain time will still not be obnoxiously early. I'm going to work on a good balance of getting better sleep and being productive with the time I am awake. We'll see what shakes out in the next few months.

1 comment:

Eva Joy said...

Interesting, I was just thinking about this idea this morning while I was biking....how someone who gets up early is seen as being a more productive go-get-em type of person when in reality, I probably sleep just as much as them, just at different hours.

I have also recently re-vamped my sleeping habits. And by "re-vamped" I mean "gave any structure to whatsoever." Instead of go-to-bed-when-I-feel-like-it and get-up-when-I-feel-like-it-or-when-my-schedule-demands (an easy habit to fall into when I don't work first thing in the morning), I am trying to sleep from midnight-8 each night and I am trying to allow just one hour of flexibility (i.e. If I don't get to bed until 1, I sleep until 9 if my schedule allows. If I need to get up at 7, I need to try to be in bed by 11). It's been working pretty well for me. I feel better in the mornings (I have also been working out in the mornings, so that might also have something to do with it). I guess most of that has to do with #5.

I really need to work on #3. I have gotten in a bad habit of eating something when I get home from work at night right before I go to bed. Blech.

Anywho, I just thought it was interesting that we were thinking about similar things. Sissies.