Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Update

Kristie requested an update on my exciting life. Since I don't have an exciting life, I will update you on mundane things. Which, really, is what all of our lives are. Mundane. So you have to try and make the mundane interesting and fun and educational, I think. Otherwise you will convince yourself that you have a boring life. And that's not true either. Even though it's not exactly exciting. Make sense? I didn't think so. But that's how I roll. So here we go.


  • Camp: Was great. Good conversations were had, especially after the Sunday session. I made everyone laugh (not to toot my own horn or anything, I just did) and my sister made everyone cry (of course). Every time I go to camp I realize how much I MISS THAT PLACE! And it's funny because I don't necessarily miss the people that I interacted with as much as I miss the place. I'm not sure how to explain that, but Camp is a special place where I've experienced great growth with God. My most significant summer there was important not because of the friendships I made, but because of my spiritual growth. It was my second summer on full-time staff and I knew that I would be tempted to get really busy/distracted and neglect what was really important (funny how that happens at a Bible camp). So, I declined being on the worship team (knowing that I would be doing it for myself and for recognition), and I made a strict rule that I would be in my room when the lights-out bell rang for the campers. It was a hard rule to stick to since many of the fun and funny times with the staff happen after the lights-out bell, but I knew that I would again be focusing on how much fun I could have instead of how much I could invest in my relationship with God. It was a sweet, quiet time to end the day with devotions and prepare myself for the next day. It was an exercise in self-discipline (if there is one thing I DON'T want to miss it is FUN with staff!!) and humility (guess what, I don't think anyone noticed that I wasn't hanging out anyway. And that's fine and good). Anyway, I don't know if that makes much sense other than to say that I worked with so many great, fun, godly people at Camp, but that isn't what I miss (even though I do miss them) as much as I miss being in a place where I could find solitude with God and dig into that relationship. Anyway. I also loved spending time with my mom and sisters, fresh blisters from guitar-playing and all. We even did a craft, so that was different.

  • Big Girl Pants: I've been wearing them. After going to the cabin on Friday to deal with the mouse problem, I found out I also need to deal with the rotten siding problem, the broken water heater problem, and the standing water in the crawl space under the cabin problem. Needless to say, I left the cabin in tears and under a lot of stress. Again, being away from that and at Camp this weekend helped, so I had a fresh perspective this week. I've been getting estimates, talking to contractors and siding experts, and I'm even looking into refinancing my house (with the cost of the siding built in and at a MUCH lower interest rate - which means I would actually SAVE MONEY....PTL!!!!!). So I definitely have been acting like an adult more than my fair share this week, but I am encouraged that much has been accomplished in these regards and it is only Wednesday. Continued prayer, though, please!

  • Ripped-Off: Went to the movie Wolverine on Sunday. I did indeed like it!!! But that doesn't mean I am recommending it to you because a) I have no backbone when it comes to recommending movies and b) I mostly liked it because I am a total nerd for X-Men (mostly the cartoon version that I watched after school growing up) and c) Wolverine is THE BOMB DIGGITY. They could have made the dumbest movie ever about Wolverine and I would have loved it. The only thing missing was JUBILEE! She is SO my favorite character EVER. In the cartoon, she is basically Wolverine's sidekick (which is maybe why I love her) - they sort of had a big brother/little sister thing going on. She also shoots FIREWORKS out of her fingers and can control them with her MIND. So, if that isn't an awesome super-power, than I don't know what is. AND there's the yellow trench coat. She's just the coolest. She's just BARELY in the three other X-Men movies, but she wasn't in this one at all. But back to the part where I felt ripped-off. The movie cost $10! For a matinee! Maybe there was some special thing where you couldn't get matinee price on this particular movie, but that is expensive! Guess I'll be sticking to RedBox and Netflix, athankyouverymuch. Except in the rare case where I REALLY want to see it in the theatre (like Wolverine). I just LOVE going to the theatre. But ten bucks.....sheeesh. Also, I need friends of my own. I went to the movie with Eva's friends, just like I went to the concert last week with Eva's friends. WHERE ARE ALL MY FRIENDS!?!?! Oh, yeah. They live ALL OVER THE COUNTRY except in MINNESOTA. Okay. Got that off my chest. And it's partly a lie, because I do have great friends in Minnesota, too.


So. That's Jubilee. And that's my update. Guess I had more to say than I thought. Good thing I blogged. Now it's not just rolling around in my brain. I suppose I could have made these three different posts with more interesting titles than "Update" (I'm thinking "Camp", "Big Girl Pants", and "Ripped-Off". What do you think?). But oh well. What's done is done.

2 comments:

Kristie Johnson said...

Good job hannah, good job. I have to wear my BGP too sometimes. Tough stuff. But, it will come in handy someday.

Eva Joy said...

a) "that was different." Ha! It's funny because it's true. And because it's Minnesotan.

b) I feel like I have put on my big girl pants this week, too. And it has been stressing me out, too. Today was the first day that I haven't cried out of the last...oh...eight. So, I guess I put on my big girl eyes, too.

c) I do have great friends in Minneapolis. Now if only I
lived there....