Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Friends' Husbands

They are great.

I am so glad that so many of my friends have married well. I have great examples of what I am looking for in a future husband.

Even though some of the husbands tease me a bit too much from time to time, I know they do it because they know I can take it, and because we have a lot of fun together. I’m so glad that I don’t feel disappointed when hanging out with my friends turns into also hanging out with the husbands.

Here are some reasons I enjoy my friends' husbands (each item isn't something every husband does, rather, it’s a compiled list of things many of the different husbands do):
  • They offer to hang up my coat, pull out my seat, and get me punch when we are at a wedding/event.
  • They insist on carrying my bags in from the car.
  • They call me to play cards when they need a fourth.
  • They fix things for me at the cabin.
  • They offer thoughtful compliments.
  • They call me on my birthday.
  • They take an interest in how my job is going.
  • They play Ultimate/catch/other sporty things with me.
  • They enjoy strange music and force me to listen to it until I also enjoy it.
  • They are REALLY good at grilling.
  • They are good dads.
  • They buy my dinner now and again.
  • They put up with my loud laugh, incessant talking, and many visits to their homes.
  • They are smart and funny and nice.
  • They love the Lord (this applies to all of them).

I got to thinking about these husband-people today because one of them was featured at C.J. Mahaney's blog. Matthew is attending the Pastors College in Maryland and recently talked about his experience there. I was very excited when I saw this post in my Reader! Matthew is an incredibly gifted speaker, preacher, and teacher. I have missed hearing him preach these last months and it was nice to have a small glimpse into what he has been doing and what brought them there. I have MISSED them this year (OH, HOW I HAVE MISSED THEM), but their trust in God's plan is encouraging and they both have amazing faith.

No comments: