Monday, May 11, 2009

A Side of Humility, Please

I’ve fallen behind on the sermons at church (per usual when I am helping with children’s ministry) so I’m catching up. Last week's message on James 4:13-17 made me look at self-discipline in a new way.

Often when my daily devotions are inconsistent, or my eating habits are poor, or I avoid exercising like the plague, or I am procrastinating on everything job related, I think “If only I had more self-discipline”. I long to have the discipline I had during my favorite summer at camp. Thing is, I don’t necessarily have any less self-discipline now (I certainly wasn’t any less busy at camp, or less prone to distraction there), but instead it is more likely that I had less pride then. In other words, it’s more likely that my “lack of self-discipline” is a manifestation of pride.

I had never thought of it in these terms before. When I don’t put priority on my daily devotions, I really am saying that I don’t need that time in the Word. I can handle things myself. My schedule is more important. All of the mundane things of my life really need to take precedent over my devotions. I’m actually displaying pride and selfishness, not just a lack of discipline.

I’m thankful for reminders to check my pride so that I can make the adjustment before things get way off course. My life is a VAPOR and I need more humility to do discern and accept the Lord's will.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing what God has shown you recently. I too have felt a lack of self discipline lately and while I think I really do lack in this area, I too think that much of it is pride. Thanks for being humble enough to share your heart. =)

I agree with you, I see you most weeks but I don't get to talk to you much. Glad I can see into your life through your blog. ;)