Friday, April 23, 2010

What Do I Want?

Every now and then someone asks me what I am looking for in a guy. I never know how to answer that question, and it makes me feel dumb that I can't. I think it's good to have an idea of what you are looking for, but I also think it's dangerous to get stuck in a list mentality where you might exclude a possible match because he doesn't fit exactly into your requirement #5. So, I do have an idea, and going on good and bad dates has helped shape that idea, but I'm still a little clueless as to how to answer the question "What do you want in a guy?". I was watching 30 Rock the other night and Liz Lemon answered the question of what she wants with some specifics:

"I'll tell you what I want. I want someone who will be monogamous and nice to his mother. I want someone who likes musicals but knows to just shut his mouth when I'm watching Lost. I want someone who thinks being really into cars is lame and strip clubs are gross. I want someone who will actually empty the dishwasher instead of just taking out forks as needed, like I do. I want someone with clean hands and feet and beefy forearms like a Disney prince. And I want him to genuinely like me, even when I'm old. And that's what I want."

I'll probably never answer that question with a list of specifics like this, but it made me smile. Especially the part about taking forks out of the dishwasher as needed. Just sayin'.

No comments: