Monday, March 29, 2010

No TV Week

I decided last night that I need a "No TV Week". I have a few shows that I like to watch each week (Amazing Race, 24, Lost, The Office) and even though I don't watch them live (I'm usually busy on those certain evenings, so I catch up online), they take quite a bit of time out of my week (probably about 4-5 hours when it's all said and done). I saw this article about not watching TV awhile back, so that contributed to me deciding that I should go at least one week without TV. (I'm not saying that watching TV is bad, because I agree that the Gospel frees you to chill out, but I would say that I know more people who need a bit more discipline and less TV - and I'm one of those people)

Why this week? Well, even though I have fewer "evening events" than normal, I am finding that I've started a few things that are taking away some of my "personal time" when I would normally watch TV. I decided that I needed to make them more of a priority than my TV watching this week. They are:
  • Half marathon training: My race is completely sneaking up on me, and I have been HORRIBLE with my training. I'll never be ready for it unless I take the 4 nights a week, an hour each night (at this point), that I need for running. Boring, but I gotta do it.
  • Nutrition: I'm taking a nutrition class for six weeks (more on that some other post) which dominates one otherwise-free night of my week, but it is also taking a lot more of my time in grocery shopping (which we all know I NEVER did, but now I have to go every couple of days to get more fresh food) and cooking.
  • Dog-sitting: I will be dog-sitting three days this week, and four-days next week, so that always takes a little bit more of my time
I have a feeling that I will be very tempted to turn the computer on and watch my shows on Hulu as I cook or clean my room or fall asleep, but I need to choose to catch up on sermons I missed while on vacation or read a book before bed (now that the late-night March Madness watching is over and I moved the TV back out of my room). NO TV Week! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: