Thursday, March 25, 2010

Expectations

Thank you, Laura, for sharing some insight I needed to hear (from the book Journaling as a Spiritual Practice by Helen Cepero).

"Understanding the difference between hope and expectations is critical if we are to allow our future to be shaped by God. Hope longs for good but is able to be flexible about how that good might appear. Expectation grasps at solutions and becomes easily attached to outcomes. When we are hopeful, our imagination and creativity flourish. But when we are locked in expectations, it is easy to turn our picture of the possible future into an idol." (page 87)

I have lots of thoughts on this, but mostly it revolves around how I expected to be married by now, maybe even have a baby. I'm easily attached to that as the outcome I wanted. I still hope for that, but maybe I'm still expecting it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

No problemo. Words I needed to hear too.