Friday, October 16, 2009

Feeling Old

Nothing makes me feel more old than the fact that I was completely looking forward to spending the night in my house by myself to clean and unpack and go to bed by 9 on a Friday. That’s borderline elderly, people.

But I have good cause. I do enjoy time to myself, especially after many, many nights in a row of activity. I got home last night at midnight from spending the week in Dallas for work, and before that trip was a busy week of baby birthday party, adult birthday party, going to a Vikings Game, going to the So You Think You Can Dance Tour (thanks, sisters, for the great bday present!), running a 5K, Welcome Team @ church, basketball league, tennis league, makeover party at the MOA……WHEW! No wonder I am exhausted! It also explains my lack of blogging.....

Plus, I forgot to mention I’ve been sick. It all started last Friday when I left work early (this was a good way for me to take care of myself) and went to bed at 4pm, where I listened to the Twins lose on the radio and got some rest so that I could run a 5k with a friend on Saturday. When I got up on Saturday, I admittedly didn’t feel great, but I also didn’t feel awful, so I went to run the 5k (which I ended up walking, thanks to a combination of the sickness, COLD weather, a dusting of snow on October 10, part trail run [bad ankles do NOT like trail runs], and very icy paths), and I had a good time with my favorite 5k friend. I went home and really didn’t feel that great after a nap, but still went over to a friend’s house for dinner before a makeover party that another friend won @ the MOA. The best part of the party was that is was pajama themed, so I was comfortable, albeit a bit under the weather. My friend made me take my temperature at dinner, and indeed, I had a fever, but proceeded to attend the makeover party anyway (this is not a good way for me to take care of myself). I had to get up early on Sunday to do Welcome Team, so I didn’t stay late for the appetizers (my first good decision of Saturday!) and I went to bed early. Then I proceeded to have the nastiest cold and cough for the entire week in Dallas. Not fun to be sick, very not fun to be sick away from home, and very, very not fun to be sick when you are supposed to be “on” for work meetings everyday. But my new favorite thing I bought is Puffs with the scent of Vicks because A) I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICKS, B) they SERIOUSLY feel so soothing on an aching, red, overblown nose, and C) that scent of Vicks really clears out your sinuses! Anyway, all of this is to say that I wonder if I would have felt better all week if I just would have taken care of myself on Saturday. Problem is, even when I am sick, I still hate missing out on stuff and I REALLY hate letting my friends down, so I don’t want to back out on stuff I promised to be at. And so, combined with the busy schedule, I was under-the-weather, which makes everything more hectic and tiring.

(10 points if you are still reading about my boring life. My apologies)

Toss in just one last factor: I got a new job. Not an entirely new job as in working for a new company, but I picked up a brand new territory on October 5, and I’m desperately trying to forget how extremely busy this experience was when I went through it in January. SO BUSY AT WORK. But I’m thankful for a job, and it’s not like I’m directly responsible for saving peoples’ lives (like my sister is), so things are fine. Just busy. And sick. And socially jam-packed. AND tomorrow is a rare Saturday conference that I have to work, plus a wedding tomorrow night. WHERE IS THE PAUSE BUTTON FOR MY LIFE?!?!?

Friday night in. I NEED IT. You can guarantee I will be screening phone calls, or turning my phone off altogether (that’s how I roll – especially after a week of sales meetings).

(20 points if you read this whole post. You must be a good friend. Or staying in on a Friday night. Or both.)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yes, I'm a good friend; I read your whole post. It seems like forever since I've seen you! Mostly because we were sick. Novia too LOVES the smell of Vicks. She does still have a bit of a cough so I don't feel too guilty indulging her, but she insists on me putting Vicks on her chest before bed and any naps. I think I might have to wean her off of it. =) Anyway, miss you and hope that you will be feeling better very soon.