Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I feel....lighter

After basketball games my team goes out for apps and drinks. Each time I get teased relentlessly about what my team has dubbed my “Mom wallet”. My wallet is…..well…..full. It is well organized, but it has a lot in it. I always just brush off their comments and embrace my Mom-ness (trust me when I say this is not the only area where I display Mom-like characteristics…) but lately I have just felt very cluttered. And not just with my wallet. I’m kinda obsessed with organization, yet I feel like I need to do a major purging of my dressers, closets, car, storage unit, purse, shelves, etc, etc, etc. So I decided to start with the Mom wallet.

I found out that, truly, my wallet was out of control. 64 cards. I HAD 64 CARDS PEOPLE! Credit cards, reward cards, membership cards, ID cards, etc. Out of control. I did some downsizing FER SHER. Cancelled some credit cards, tossed some useless cards, and moved everything out of my wallet besides cash, one credit card, driver’s license, and an insurance card.

And I somehow feel lighter. I got a sleek new clutch-thing to put those essentials in and I will keep my other cards in a coin purse. I feel so organized and, yes, lighter.

I saw something on Oprah once about the book Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? The premise is that the way you live affects all of your habits, including eating, exercising, etc. In general, people who take care of their home and possessions also take care of themselves. I can see the logic of it. I haven’t read the book, but it was an interesting show and I might page through the book sometime.

All I know is that I've only just cleaned out my wallet and I already feel lighter. Maybe tomorrow I’ll put down the chips and actually get to the gym.

Baby steps….

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm glad you update this.

Steve and I can relate to the fat wallet/purse scenario. Steve almost got scoliosis from his wallet a couple years ago. It was intense.